Our recent week long trip to the Northumberland area was fantastic!
We had previously visited the area 5 years ago....before we had our mh. We only made it down as far as Bamburgh last time, and vowed to come back one day and venture further south from Seahouses.
We had a few options for where to go for our new year trip, but the weather forecast dictated that North East England would be our best bet!
We found the people in Northumberland to be very friendly with no impatience or annoyance towards us mh drivers at all! In fact we found many places to park the mh, during the day as well as wild camp spots!
Some car parks were free and even had mh dedicated spaces. There was so much to see and do, despite being the festive period, many places were open and there was plenty people enjoying the sunny days. Beaches were busy with families and dog walkers....there was a really nice relaxed atmosphere wherever we went.
High points of the weeks were:
• Parking at St. Abbs harbour twice (£10 charge)
• Walking St Abbs head 4 mile walk and seeing a pod of dolphins just below the lighthouse
• People we met on the walk
• Walking the length on Bamburgh beach....TJ was so happy...and then so tired at night!
• Walking across the tidal causeway to St Mary’s lighthouse....and then going back later to see it when the tide was in
• Whitley Bay and Spanish City...which we want to go back to for afternoon tea
• We also want to go back to Tynemouth to see the castle and the priory
• Amble......loved this place so much! Free parking, so many places to eat, seafood, Sunday market....perfect!
• Cresswell beach....quiet park up for the night...stunning sunrise, and then the kind man I met on the beach, who invited us to empty our toilet cassette at his nearby house. Him and his wife were real genuine people....and fellow mh owners!
• The castles in Alnwick and Warkworth....both lovely towns
- Sunday lunch at Toby's carvery
- Calamari & chips at Seahouses
- Cooked breakfast at Kayleighs cafe...Amble
• Parking up at Yellowcraigs and another stunning sunrise and lovely beach walk
• Lastly visiting the Dunbar bear and the Kelpies....both designed by the same person.
- listening to radio 2 every night!
We had 5 wild park ups and one night on a site....which worked out perfectly.
Everywhere we stopped at, there was plenty of places to spend our money....and we were made to feel welcome as was TJ! We will definitely be back.....just maybe not in summer school holidays....I can imagine it gets really busy!